Man O War is a four-year-old modern performance bred stock horse stallion by Conductor and from Cee Dee Destiny, and a complete outcross for our own heritage stock horse broodmares.
Mindful of our plans for his future as a performance horse, we resisted showing Mannie as a as a yearling, two and three-year-old. Instead, our prime focus for him was developing a horse with a solid grounding that would culminate in a reliable, athletic and competitive performer in many disciplines.
Mannie has an intellectually curious and inquisitive mind, displayed even since the day of his birth when he ventured forth to investigate anyone within proximity. Our plan to make a ‘performance’ horse of him was made easier as we had the genetic and environmental advantage of having produced an intelligent, compliant, trainable, responsive animal with natural athletic ability – as well as time on our side.
From the age of two, he has been used as a lead horse for breakers and young horses here at our breaking-in and training establishment. Mannie is also used as a demonstration horse at Paul Wardell Horsemanship Clinics and is capable of long hours on the job working cattle, which is just one part of our operation.
As a three-year-old in the run-up year of 2015 and with Brittany Hetherington his rider/handler, Mannie was starting to make his presence felt with many championships in led, hack, working and futurities at ASHS Branch and agricultural shows. This combination was soon to become a force to be reckoned with and Mannie appeared on the radar as the young horse to beat. 2016 was the year where they really began to dominate!
Highlights of Mannie’s performances are:
- In 2017 Brittany and Man O War continued their achievements winning ASHLA at Canberra Royal Show.
- At the 2017 ASHS National Championships won 4-year-old maturity hack section, was 6th overall in the National Maturity, won hack stallion 4 years, and was reserve champion working stallion 4 years old.
- Sydney Royal Show 2017 he represented us well winning the stockmen’s turnout, ASH hack stallion or colt, senior time trial and was highest placed ASHLA in the most versatile ASH exhibit.
Far North Coast (NSW) Branch ASHS Annual Show and Futurities – second place in Open Hack Challenge overall; champion working horse; first place in 4-year-old maturity overall; first place ASHLA senior rider; and champion hack.
- Gloucester Branch ASHS Show – first place ASHLA senior; champion hack; champion working; and supreme ridden.
- Eastern Branch ASHS Breeders and Performance Championships and Campdraft – champion hack; second place in open challenge overall; first place in ladies campdraft cutout; and third place in maiden campdraft.
- 2017 NSW ASH Breeders Championships and Futurities – Winner overall of the RM Williams Champagne Stakes.
- County of Cumberland Branch ASHS Show – First overall of open challenge; first place ASHLA; champion working; and supreme ridden exhibit.
- Moss Vale Branch ASHS Show – Second overall in open challenge; champion working; champion senior ASH hack; and supreme ridden ASH.
- 2017 is first open stud season and we are looking forward to 2018 when his first crop of foals hit the ground.
In 2018 he was shown successfully with the following achievements:
- Canberra Royal Show – Reserve Champion Working from 43 entries.
- ASHS National Show, Tamworth – Champion Hack Stallion, Reserve Champion Stallion Working.
- Sydney Royal Show – Second place in Senior Small Arena Campdraft, and high placings in working stallion, ASHLA Senior, Stockmen’s Turnout, and ASH Hack Stallion.
Man O War is personality plus and is a horse who enjoys his work. He is a rich chestnut in colour and measures 14.3.3/4hh