Breaking-In and Training Services by ASHS Level 1 Accredited Coach
We offer a range of services that can be customised to your specific needs – these are:
- Breaking-in – we have experience with most breeds.
- Training and re-training
- Show/sale preparation
- Lessons – private or group tuition catering for all ages, levels and abilities. Videos of lessons can be taken for follow-up discussion.
- Clinics – we have regular training/horsemanship weekends at Silverthorn with coaches from various disciplines. As well as our own clinics onsite, Paul travels statewide and interstate to conduct horsemanship clinics for various groups and organisations.
- Onsite camping available.
- Cattle work and mechanical cow.
Our services are competitively priced – flexible and tailor-made packages can be arranged to suit the individual.
Our facilities consist of:
- A 60m x 20m dressage arena;
- Fully under cover, enclosed and floodlit sand work arena;
- Two under cover round yards;
- Safe stables and yards;
- Float parking and unloading area;
- Toilet and shower facilities;
- Wash bay.
Paul has experience coaching a variety of riders including:
- Children on and off a lead rein;
- Capable pony club riders;
- Adult beginner/novice riders;
- Prospective purchasers on unfamiliar horses;
- Riders on difficult horses, and
- Experienced riders competing at National and Royal Show level
It gives us great pride to watch pupils we have been mentoring achieve the highest levels of awards in the Australian Stock Horse industry. Helping others and their horses reach their true potential is our aim.
Background to our training operation
As a third generation horseman Paul has had a lifelong love of horses and horsemanship and has been actively involved in the horse industry for the last 40 years.
Our focus here at Silverthorn is to breed top quality ASH performance horses as well as training horses and riders for competition. The day-to-day routine includes breaking-in, training, coaching, working stock and retraining problem horses.
We consider learning a lifelong process and are always prepared to increase our knowledge to further enhance our skills in horsemanship. Paul has studied with leaders in their field in a variety of disciplines including dressage, campdrafting, cutting and reining.
Paul is a Level 1 ASHS Accredited Coach, a nationally-recognised qualification which is overseen by the Australian Sports Commission’s National Coaches Accreditation Scheme (NCAS). As an Accredited Coach, Paul has undergone training in safety and risk management. We also both hold current First Aid Certificates.
As accredited ASHS judges we fully understand the Society’s rules and regulations and requirements in and out of the show ring.
We are sensitive to the differing needs of riders of varying competencies, modes of learning and levels of confidence and Paul plans his lessons with these considerations. We are familiar with the Australian Horse Industry Council Code of Practice for the Horse Industry and the Equestrian Australia Code of Conduct.
We strive to keep a clean, workable and safe environment on our property, which enables us to safely help others develop riding skills and to train their own horses.
Recently received was testimonial from prominent horsewoman and judge Mrs Glenda Lovell for her newly broken-in pony:
” … Just wanting to thank you so much on the lovely job done on my 3yo Welsh B x Riding Pony gelding, when he came to you for breaking in early June, and picked up three weeks on. Summa Crockett has been riding for less than two weeks and last Sunday we ventured off to the Winter Woolies show on Sydney for his first outing under saddle.
Can’t tell how pleased we were with him when he won novice pony hack then intermediate pony hack (out of eight ponies) and the pony hack with a coloured registry. He was cool and got better each class. He then won and was champion led buckskin gelding, then saddled up again to win ridden gelding ne 14hh then worked like a seasoned horse for reserve champion ridden.
Thanks again and I will be very happy to recomend your services to anyone feel free to give my name as a reference to any enquiries.”